Thursday, January 16, 2014
Monday, December 9, 2013
She's cleaned up quite well. No nasty surprises which was nice, but she definitely needed some love and service. I've replaced the majority of the rusty fasteners with stainless ones, flushed all the hydraulics, cleaned the K&N, cleaned up most of the bike, and polished and waxed all the bodywork. I just need all the fluids I ordered to show up so I can change the oil in the motor, gearbox, and final drive. Then some fresh rubber and we'll be aces. It's amazing how spiders love old motorcycles, every crevice of this bike must have had a spiders nest in it.
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Saturday, October 19, 2013
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Pretty damn excited about this. Won the 2013 Championship. Such an awesome series and fun racing. I wish more people would enter. Either way, it feels good to be first.
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Thursday, October 3, 2013
I put the crank in the freezer for a couple days and had time tonight to start working on the bike again now that there are no races to get ready for. I put the crank bearings in the oven for a little bit and they just slid right on with no force needed. A welcome change to getting the old ones off. I need to get some hylomar tomorrow and then the top half of the case can go back on. Then it's a matter of aesthetics for the jugs and side cases. I'm going to go semi-gloss black on the sides and jugs and polish the top part of the daytona head. Hopefully all that can get done this weekend.
Friday, September 27, 2013
Really bad pictures due to the weather. Finished 1st in Dakar class and 2nd overall to a wicked fast Canadian on a KTM 530. All good since I think I got the 2013 overall championship.
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Tuesday, September 3, 2013
I got the motor completely torn down and the cases cleaned up this weekend. I started putting the gearbox back in but need some seals and gaskets to show up before I can get too serious. Looks like the ball retainer in one of the crank bearings came apart and chewed up the crank seal, so the motor was sucking in gear oil, which is why it dropped a cylinder in the first place. Luckily no damage was done to the motor that I can tell. Gaskets, seals, and pistons should be showing up this week.
Friday, August 30, 2013
Now that the DRZ is basically fully sorted, I'm back on the RD400 after a year or so hiatus. Very excited to be getting back into this thing. First up will be rebuilding the motor, then I'll tackle the chassis. I'm tearing down the motor and getting fresh pistons, seals, gaskets, and upgrading to an electronic ignition setup.Obviously it'll get some fresh paint as well.